In the past few months, COVID-19 outbreak has unleashed utter mayhem around the globe. While social distancing and self-isolation seem to be the only and most eﬀective method of dealing with this pandemic, we all know that staying indoors for an extended period is quite the challenge, especially when it comes to mental and physical ﬁtness. Additionally, thanks to work-from-home, life now has become more sedentary than ever!
Due to the outbreak, people around the world are living the once unthinkable reality of maintaining a daily routine within the walls of their homes. And let's be honest, it can get as exhausting as it can be monotonous after a point. This signiﬁcant change in routine is leaving many feeling confused and unsure–especially when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some simple tips for you to stay healthy and ﬁt during this lockdown:
- Stay hydrated: We cannot stress enough on the importance of drinking enough water. It helps our bodies in unimaginable ways, from maximizing physical and mental functioning to helping with kidney function and aiding weight loss. So if you really value your health, do yourselves a favour and drink up!
- Limit mindless snacking: Working from home means having access to all kinds of junk lying around in the house. Try getting rid of some or all of those unhealthy snacks so that you don't end up overeating too often just because you feel bored.
- Be active: It doesn't have to be anything too intense, but you have to make sure you move your body regularly. A sedentary lifestyle is a sure-shot way of gaining weight and developing unhealthy habits, and it is even easier now that most people are at home all day. So make sure you perform some form of exercise at home at least 3-4 times a week. Find an activity you enjoy, and before you know it, it will seamlessly blend with your lifestyle.
- Get proper sleep: Never underestimate the importance of a good night of sleep! Various researches have proven how big a role sleeping patterns play in weight management. An improper sleep schedule encourages unhealthy cravings and lethargy that, in turn, leads to weight gain. So keep that gadget aside and aim for a few hours of uninterrupted and quality rest.
- Eat balanced meals: A balanced meal is the best healthy meals for weight loss, weight gain and even weight maintenance. Make sure that your meals consist of all the essential micro and macronutrients, in the right proportions. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and consume wholegrain carbs and lean sources of protein. Try cutting down on fat, salt, sugar and alcohol, as they have a detrimental impact on one's overall health. If you are someone who doesn't cook, you can easily subscribe to a healthy meal delivery service.
- Practice meditation: The lockdown has proven to be hard on people mentally and emotionally. Staying cooped up in your home without social interaction can be taxing for many. Practising meditation regularly can help you keep your mind calmer and more centred, while also providing a new and more positive perspective.
But remember, nothing helps more than being consistent. One must develop a routine with speciﬁc timeframes dedicated to speciﬁc activities. A lot of people are losing the motivation to work, feeling lazy and unproductive. A ﬁxed routine helps you to prioritize and get important things done so that you can prevent further stress.
Throughout this time of uncertainty, taking care of one's mental health is just as important as taking care of their physical wellbeing, and we hope incorporating these tips into your daily routine will help you do just that!