Preparing for UPSC Exam is a complicated thing. The aspirants must prepare for the UPSC prelims syllabus and UPSC Mains syllabus. The UPSC Prelims is an objective paper, while the UPSC Mains exam is a subjective one where the candidates have to opt for an optional exam as well. It demands continuous practice and dedicated preparation. But, most of the aspirants prepared well by learning about the topics but didn’t solve the UPSC Previous Year Question Papers.
Why is it important to solve UPSC Previous Year Papers?
One must prepare well for the UPSC Exam, but this doesn’t mean that he should focus on studying only. It is essential that one must solve the UPSC Previous Year Papers. It will help you in judging your knowledge and time management. Here are the reasons that make it important to solve the UPSC previous year's papers-
- Know the exam paper pattern- Developing an understanding of the exam paper pattern will enhance your understanding of the time emphasis required by a particular topic. You will get to know the weight of marks for a particular topic.
- Know the exam pattern- One of the most important steps after understanding the UPSC Syllabus is to check the UPSC exam pattern. UPSC Prelims Question Paper and UPSC Mains Question Papers are easily available on the internet.
- Self-assessment- Solving the previous year's question papers will help you judge your understanding of the topic. If you cannot solve the question paper or a particular topic, you will be judged where you lack. Now, you can focus on that particular topic to have a hold on that.
- Time management- If you are well prepared for the exam, it is quite important that you judge your speed of attempting the question paper, especially the long answers for the main and optional exam questions. You can prepare strategies to improve your attempt speed.
- Latest topics- You might prepare the syllabus, but it is quite evident that you can skip the latest topics related to your subject. You will get familiar with the national and international topics of the current affair.
- Revision of topic- If you are short on time and want to revise the topic, instead of learning about the topic again, you can go through your notes and then solve the previous year's question papers for UPSC or go through the mock test. There are a lot of websites like byjusexamprep that conducts mock test regularly.
- Practice- The phrase practice makes a man perfect stands true. Solving the previous year's question papers will help you improve at attempting more questions in a given time frame. It will improve your accuracy in getting the right answers without thinking a lot.
This means that skipping this aspect of the preparation can be a major cause of failure. So, prepare well and solve the UPSC Previous Year Question Papers. All the best!!