Have you ever experienced motion sickness while looking back at the videos of your own vacation? Maybe you thought it would be a great idea to get some video of that beautiful hiking trail or while walking through a food market, but when you look back all your footage is way too shaky to even consider uploading to any social media platform, let alone watch back for your own enjoyment.
A mobile phone tripod can come in handy for capturing still videos, but to capture a pan or a walkthrough without the shake, you’ll need something that can move with you. There are tons of professional gimbals and stabilizers for mobile phones on the market, but a lot of these are huge drains on your phone’s battery. This was my experience with DJI’s first version of the Osmo Mobile.
On a sunny day, with the brightness on my phone turned all the way up so I could see what I was shooting, I had about an hour or two before my phone was at a panic-inducing 5%. Recently, I had the opportunity to test the new DJI Osmo Mobile 2 and I would definitely recommend this version over its predecessor, not just for the more affordable price, but for its incredible battery life.
How the Osmo Mobile 2 Rates:
- Usefulness: 8/10. If you take a lot of videos on your phone when you travel with the intent on creating your own travel videos or just for sharing on social media, this is a great tool. I also like how easy it is to adjust the gimbal for either vertical or landscape shooting, so I can optimize my videos for various social media platforms. Also because this version has a built-in battery, I can use the same charger I pack for my Samsung phone, which is an invaluable convenience.
- Value: 10/10. This version of the Osmo Mobile is made out of a much simpler plastic material, lowering the price and making it a much better value for travelers who need sturdier equipment anyway.
- Portability: 6/10. All stabilizers are awkward objects that are difficult to pack. They can’t just be tossed into a bag without risking damage. You’ll need a special case to transport this safely, though the Dji Osmo Mobile 2 does get extra points for being on the lighter side.
- Cool Factor: 8/10. It’s not just the smooth video you’ll like, the features on the DJI app also allow you to take perfect panoramas and control your shots with technical precision. However, there’s no getting around how strange stabilizers look and they can be very awkward to handle when you’re getting used to them.
- Final Verdict: With the increasing quality of mobile phone cameras, anyone can make a professional quality travel video. This is just one more tool to help expand your skills and stoke your creativity. For the value and convenience of doubling as a battery pack, the Osmo Mobile 2 is a great choice for the casual videographer looking to capture an amazing trip.