How and where do I report child abuse and/or maltreatment?
How and where do I report child abuse and/or maltreatment?
It's for children and parents

Reports of suspected child abuse or maltreatment should be made immediately -- at any time of the day and on any day of the week -- by telephone to the New York Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (sometimes referred to as the State Central Register or SCR). The telephone numbers are:

Child Abuse Hotline Number:


The Child Protective Specialist who answers your call will ask you for as much information as you can provide about both the suspected abuse or maltreatment and the family about which you are calling. Below are examples of some questions the Child Protective Specialist might ask you when you call. Even if you have very little information available to you, please call the SCR. The specialists will analyze the information you do have and determine if it is sufficient to register a report.

  • What is the nature and extent of the child's injuries, or the risk of harm to the child?
  • Have there been any prior suspicious injuries to this child or his/ her siblings?
  • What is the child's name, home address, and age?
  • What is the name and address of the parent or other person legally responsible who caused the injury, or created the risk of harm to the child?
  • What are the names and addresses of the child's siblings and parents if different from the information provided above?
  • Do you have any information regarding treatment of the child, or the child's current whereabouts?

Where can I find the laws pertaining to Child Protective Services and Social Services?

There are two bodies of law in New York State that deal with child abuse and maltreatment in a familial context. They are the Social Services Law (SSL) and the Family Court Act (FCA). Further, some acts of child abuse and maltreatment are also crimes. For more information on the crimes associated with child abuse and maltreatment, you should contact your local police or district attorney's office or refer to the Penal Law.

Title Six of Article Six of the Social Services Law, specifically Sections 411-428, define child abuse and maltreatment. The law also outlines the roles and responsibilities of the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) and Local Departments of Social Services (LDSS) regarding investigations, outcomes and records related to such.

Article 10 of the Family Court Act, specifically section 1012 of the FCA, further defines child abuse, maltreatment and other key terms commonly used in investigations and reports.

Both these sections of law can be found at the New York State Legislature website. Choose the link "Laws of New York," and scroll down to the "S" section for Social Services Law. Then look for Title Six of Article Six.

A similar process will allow you to find the relevant sections of the Family Court Act.

Sometimes people going through a divorce end up in Family court because of child abuse allegations concocted by one of the parents. If CPS gets involved in your case- see qualified representation asap!




If you need help with a Family Court Matter in Albany, NY, contact a professional in this area.

Important Links