10 Tips on how to be a DJ in this 2020
Become the artist you've always wanted to be
"The most important thing that a DJ must take into account in this 2020, is that he cannot lose the quality that characterizes him, at this moment they are doing the touches from home, but not for that reason the quality must be left aside, it is important to have visuals, good sound, to innovate and to do different things, you can ally with other artists and to show to the public new content. As at this moment everything is by means of Streamings it is necessary to do something different, everything out of the common thing ".
Mao Chico, teacher at DNA Music.
Let's start the tips:
1.What do I have to do to be a good DJ? If you want to make a living from music or it's your favorite hobby, you have to keep in mind that to be a great artist you have to study, read, observe and practice more than you can imagine.
Where can I study? In Colombia there are different academic institutions where you can study, we recommend you ours, DNA Music, aims to fulfill the artistic dreams of their students, you can also meet the platform School of Audio, there you will find online courses so you can learn about the world of DJing.
How often can I practice? That depends on you, but we advise you to do it as often as you can. They say that practice makes perfect, and in our case we agree with that statement.
2. The DJ world is very wide, there are different types: resident, guest, radio or mobile.
What kind of DJ do you want to be?
DJ-in-residence: refers to an artist who performs in a place on a regular or permanent basis. Resident DJs are usually in bars, clubs or entertainment venues.
Guest DJs: are those who are hired for a specific event. To open an event or to promote it.
Radio DJ: A DJ is responsible for playing the tracks in a playlist delivered by the management of a station. In many cases this DJ must also answer the calls of the listeners or conduct the program and sometimes give publicity. The duties may be more or less depending on the position.
Mobile DJ: in charge of carrying a portable sound system, he is hired when there is a private event and a professional DJ is of utmost importance. The system may include: speakers with stands, a DJ controller and a computer with the software you use to do your job.
3. Look for your favorite DJs, see what they do, admire and be inspired, detail their performance.
4. Find quality equipment, we recommend you La Tienda de Audio, there you can ask for the devices you want, at the best price.
5. Use different DJ software so you can choose the one you like best and feel better.
6. You must create your own brand, your pseudonym and your social networks focused on showing your talent as a DJ.
7. You must know the following terms:
Beatmatching: is the basis of the mix. The songs are synchronized so that both have the same tempo and can be mixed.
Musical phrasing: when you mix you must take into account the musical phrases. They are the ones that form several bars.
The mix/volume: it consists of making a song go to the next one through the control of the individual volume levels.
Equalization or Eq: consists of manipulating the frequencies of each song to make the mix and transition appropriate.
8. Look for allies: the way of a DJ is better with company, you must know that it is necessary to have contacts and help from more people, besides they can make projects together.
9. You can never have too much music: Having a great selection of music is something that helps you a lot and differentiates you from the others, be aware of the new music but also the old one. You should have a large library of music that covers various styles, for different tastes.
10. Marketing: You should learn about Marketing for DJs, here is a blog where you can find this information: click aquí